Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What we do it for and what it does!

What we do it for and what it does! 3 years 10 months ago #632

Hey everyone;

Merry Christmas and All the Best for the New Year. Hopefully the fishing gods are smiling down on all of you!! I've been hearing some great reports from Simcoe.

I had a really good question today about what we do with the money we raise for Perchin for MS...and thought more of you might like to know the answer. We haven't really posted much about what we have done.

Over the 3 years this tournament has been run, we have raised just over $31,000 in support of Multiple Sclerosis.

In our first year we donated this money to the MS Society of Ontario through the MS Walk.
Our second year we donated this money to the York North Chapter of the MS Society. This group does a lot of great work in the region, but money raised and not earmarked for specific purposes is put into research.

As I wanted the money to do more for people and make more of a difference...last year we decided to try and control a little more where and how the money was used.

Still wanting to support the MS York North Chapter, I asked what they needed and how we could help.
One of the things the chapter does for everyone in York Region and Bradford area is to offer support groups and programs like yoga and stretching classes focused on MS. They also offer speakers, financial planning, etc...for MS Sufferers.

It just so happened that the yoga/stretching classes were ending due to a lack of funding. We also had previously made note that we wanted to raise more awareness about MS and the MS Walk as it seemed not to have enough attention on it.

Therefore, we decided to designate the money raised on buying signs to promote the MS Walk, and we funded the Yoga/stretching classes for the year. As for the rest of the money, we ear marked the funds to go toward programs helping those in the region ie: helping people get aids around their homes, rides to the Dr, etc...

I am very proud of what we have done to date and feel supporting the MS Society is important. They do a lot for those who are diagnosed with MS.
I still have hopes though to make our money do more. I started this event to encourage those with disabilities to get out and keep active in our outdoors. I have thought of trying to buy an Action Track chair each year for someone with MS or for the MS Society to lend out.

No matter what, I will make sure the money goes to help the people with MS and to keep the word about MS in the public's eye.

I hope this helps you realize what good this tournament does and hope everyone will continue to support us. I am always open to suggestions, and will continue to allocate the money based on where we see the greatest need.

I have had people come up to me and cry saying thank you. I have had people call me from all over North America to show their support and we have had a Rotary group in the States start "Perchin for Polio" based on our tournament.

As I like to say "Anything is Possible!"
  • Perchin For MS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Admin, Kris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds