Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Over 450 people will Fish to End MS!

Over 450 people will Fish to End MS! 3 years 8 months ago #715

In only its 4th year, Perchin for MS has sold out again and organizers couldn’t be happier. On March 1, 2014 the 4th Annual Perchin for MS will take place again at Sibbald Point Provincial Park in the Town of Georgina. Dubbed Lake Simcoe’s Premier Ice Fishing Event by the fishers themselves, this event has really taken off.

Doug Poirier the founder of the event says the success has to do with the amazing support of the local community and that of the fishing community in Ontario. “We have the best sponsors going and the support just keeps growing”. This event has become “everyone’s event” says Poirier. The people have really taken on an ownership of the event and turned it into a yearly tradition.

As the event is sold out, unfortunately organizers are having to turn people away, but don’t think you aren’t still welcome. Kevin Gittens – Assistant Director says spectators are always welcome. “With a charity BBQ and live and silent auctions all coinciding with the weigh in at 1pm…this really is the place to be” says Gittens.
Fishing starts at 8am and goes until 1pm. Teams must then be off the ice and attend the weigh in area. The excitement is high as teams wait to see if they will be crowned the winners and take home the Jack Link’s Jackpot – a $2000.00 cash pot. Prizes don’t stop there either. Over $10 000 in cash and prizes are given out at the event!

It’s not all about the prizes though. The main focus is on MS - Multiple Sclerosis. Doug Poirier was diagnosed in late 2009 with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. Doug's MS unfortunately has continued to get worse and he now is using a walker most of the time. It hasn’t stopped him though. Doug continues to keep the fight going and to try and show others that life doesn’t stop just because you have a disability. That is what this tournament is all about says Poirier.

“I never want to see someone give up and say they can’t do something. I know we all have bad days…but those days become more frequent when we stop doing what we love and let it get the best of us” says Doug

My hope is that people of “all abilities” keep coming to this tournament; and that this tournament continues to be a way for all of us to say that we won’t let MS beat us!

To date Perchin for MS has raised over $31 000.00 towards helping people with MS and finding a cure!

If you would still like to become a sponsor or make a donation to this event…please visit www.perchinforms.com

Media:
For more information please contact Doug Poirier at 289-231-2132 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Kris
  • Thank you received: 28
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds