Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wegman to attempt his 2nd 4km Sun City Charity Swim August 9

Wegman to attempt his 2nd 4km Sun City Charity Swim August 9 3 years 3 months ago #796

For Immediate Release: August 2nd, 2014
Ontario: Wil Wegman of Bradford Ontario, might be better known for catching fish than swimming with them but it’s exactly the latter that he will be doing once again this Saturday August 9h in the fish-filled waters of Orillia’s Lake Couchiching. “I’ll be swimming in my second Sun City Swim event across ‘Cooch’ and I’m really excited about it. Last year it took me 1 hour 35.5 minutes (placing 17th) and I hope to try and better that time,” said Wegman. One of the factors that will definitely influence times however ... is wind; and Cooch is known for its rough water.

wil-wegman-2014.jpg

Last year, the annual charity event was a fundraiser for Orillia’s Memorial Hospital, and this time the hospital is transitioning the swim over to the Child Advocacy Centre for Simcoe/Muskoka. All proceeds from the Sun City Swim 2014 will benefit this Child Advocacy Centre... supporting abused children.

In 2013; thanks to family, friends and especially the closely knit fishing community, Wegman raised more funds for the charity swim (over $2,000) than any of the other 72 swimmers. To support Wil’s attempt to swim across Lake Couchiching before Aug 9th, please log onto the secure Canada Helps link http://www.canadahelps.org/gp/24800 and follow the easy instructions provided.

Swimmers can choose to swim either the 1km or 4km swim. To swim the longer distance like Wil, all will start at the Fern Resort off the Rama Rd at 8am and swim straight across to Couchiching Beach Park in Orillia – a total of 4 km. “I have always loved fishing Couchiching and have competed in many bass tournaments here over the last 25 years. Last year I was kind of distracted by some of the fish I saw along the way ... but I’ll try to stay focussed this year on swimming straight and reaching the other side of Cooch to support this worthwhile cause,” he concluded.

About The Child Advocacy Centre:

The Child Advocacy Centre is a special place in Orillia that allows for the best possible response for children/youth who have disclosed abuse. The staff at the Centre work cooperatively with the police and child protection workers to provide a child/youth friendly environment and respectful experience while a child abuse investigation is underway. Following the initial investigation, the Child and Family Advocate will support both the child and family as they begin the long road to recovery. As part of their mandate, the Child Advocacy Centre works diligently to educate community members throughout the region with respect to child abuse prevention. www.cacsimcoemuskoka.ca

To provide a small donation to this great cause in Wil’s name, please click on the link below.www.canadahelps.org/gp/24800

For more information on the Sun City Swim: http://www.cacsimcoemuskoka.ca/page/sun-city-swim

Thank you very much!
  • Kris
  • Thank you received: 28
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Kris.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds